June 30th, 2014
The Water Safety Essential All Flyfishers Need
Did you know that each year in Canada, lightning strikes kill up to 10 people and seriously injure up to 164 others? Most graphite fly rods come with a warning that they are effective conductors of electricity and therefor should not be used during electrical storms and to keep them away from security fences/power lines. All good advice but did you also know that each year, 470 people or more drown in Canada? While most of you might think of irresponsible boaters, many of these are seasoned anglers.
The Rescue Throw Bag is an essential piece of safety equipment used to rescue anyone in the water in need and, in some cases, to help unpin a boat. There should be a minimum of one per boat on any trip. These bags come in various shapes and sizes, but fall into two main categories – bags worn on the waist and bulkier ones carried in the boat.
The NRS Standard Rescue Throw Bag is an excellent tool for protecting you and your buddies in any swiftwater emergency situation. This Rescue Throw Bag is intended for the boat and it features:
- A rugged Cordura® bag which is tough as nails and comes in two high visibility colors;
- 2″ mesh panel for better drainage and reduced dry time;
- 3/8″ polypropylene rope which is yellow for increased visibility, has a 1,900 pound tensile strength and it floats for good visibility on the water;
- A barrel-lock drawstring is incorporated in a flared nylon top for smoother throws, plus easy reloading and closure;
- An elastic loop and ‘pocket’ that will hold a glow stick or “chem light” for low light rescues; and
- Internal foam flotation keeps the bag on the top of the water where you need it for rescue.
The NRS Guardian Bags are worn on your waist, so whether you’re in your boat or scouting a pool, this throw bag is always at your fingertips. Features include:
- an internal throw rope in an inner bag that pulls completely free from the waist belt for a smooth safety toss;
- 55 feet of 1/4″ polypropylene rope, with a maximum tensile strength of 950 pounds;
- The Guardian clips securely around your waist with an adjustable belt with quick release buckle; and
- Webbing loops along the belt are provided for carabiners.
While we hope you never have to use one, we want you to at least have one and know how to use it if the need ever arises. To further encourage you to get one, we’d like to give you a dozen trout flies when you buy yours from us. Call or email us today.